Sharing food and chatting is at the heart of Squash.
Squash was founded in 2007 by artists Clare Owens and Becky Vipond who met in Liverpool in their twenties working as youth workers and bonded over a love of aubergine fritters and a shared passion for our vibrant L8 neighbourhood. Our commitment to working for social justice, combined with an industrious love of growing and cooking good food, lead to further food manoeuvres across the city and beyond. Much of our food work flows from our award-winning community food business and gardens on Windsor Street.
Due to Covid-19, the Squash shop and cafe are currently closed, but you can currently access fresh produce including organic veg boxes, cupboard staples and top cafe food in 2 ways;
- SQUASH KIOSK open on Fridays and Saturdays from 9am till 2pm.
- WEEKLY SHOPPER – you can become a weekly shopper, ordering on a Monday via email and picking up your order on a Wednesday (between 12 and 7.30pm) or Thursday (12-4pm). We ask that you commit to a 4 week block of shopping.
Throughout the COVID-19 period, through the generosity of our shoppers and our hard-working staff and volunteer team we have been able to support many local families, particularly refugees and asylum seekers. If you would like to ‘Soup it Forward’ or ‘Veg Box if Forward’ please get in touch with Elise email@example.com
Squash is full of super fresh, seasonal fruit and veg and other tasty ingredients to help you cook brilliant food. We are a proper community shop, run by passionate locals, really bothered about your health and happiness, and stocking around 150 lines offering an alternative shopping experience to supermarkets. Come by and check out our high quality, ethically-sourced and affordable produce….and taste some of the shop ingredients in our tasty cooked dishes! Last year we were really honoured to win the BBC Food and Farming Best Shop award!
Squash provide bespoke catering for events, meetings and conferences.
To find out more and to discuss your requirements please get in touch with Becky firstname.lastname@example.org
Squash Food is:
- Seasonal – produce-led
- Colourful – think rainbow and lots of green
- Whole – wholefoods/minimal processing
- Culturally appropriate
- Of high quality
- Bold & exciting
- Supporting local producers
- Vegetarian and often vegan
- Ethically sourced/fair-trade
- Local and organic where possible
- Anti food waste and big on minimal packaging/recycling